10 Reasons I Love My Job
10. I work 3 days a week
Seriously, it couldn't be more convenient. I work three which means I'm off four. I don't think it gets much better than that. Yeah 12 hours can be brutal and yes getting up at 5am sucks most of the time but I guess I really can't complain.
9. Flexibility
Kinda going back to working 3 days thing. If I ever need a day off or need to switch days and work something different, I generally have no problem even if it is last minute. There is generally someone who can help out and who is willing to help out.
8. Teaching
I don't think I am a great teacher by any stretch of the imagination but I do love being able to teach parents about whats going on with their sick/premature infant. Most people have no experience with the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit so it is a huge learning experience. It is incredibly rewarding when you spend the time to teach parents and they honestly get it and some of their fears are alleviated because they understand.
7. I learn something new every day..
Honestly, I can really say that. There is not a day that goes by that I don't learn SOMETHING new. Some days it's big and some days it's small. I am amazed at the technical advances made day to day. The world of Neonatology changes so much that there are always new things coming at us. It keeps my job interesting and for that I am grateful.
6. I Love the Hi tech atmosphere..
It's a fast paced, ever-changing, mentally challenging, emotionally taxing place to work. There's great reward in witnessing a tiny infant being brought into the world requiring a multitude of wires and monitors and medications to survive and being able to participate in it's journey to stability and ultimately (in most cases) discharge. Sometimes the beeps send me literally over the edge and I hear them in my sleep but all those are forgotten when you see little eyes looking up at you.
5. I love that my borderline OCD matters at work
Simply said it does, it matters, it can mean life or death. If I don't pay attention to detail and an ever so slight change in my baby, the consequences can be devastating.
4. I love the respect/accessibility of doctors...
I have never worked anywhere else as a nurse but I have heard how hard it can be to communicate with doctors on floors and in other units. I am thankful that our doctors are only a few steps away at any minute of the day 24/7, 365 days a year. I know I matter and have earned the respect at my job when one asks me my opinion on my patients condition. And then actually takes my advice. Priceless
3. Easing a parents fears
When I am able to move a parent from complete devastation and fear to being able to see there infant as more than wires and machines, to helping them connect to the most fragile life in the world. From watching their tears turn to smiles and laughter..that is what it's all about.
2. I Love my work Family..
The people I work with are phenomenal!! I couldn't ask for a better group of coworkers. Many of the nurses I work with are my second family. My best friends in life are several of the nurses I work with. I trust them with my life and know no matter what they are there for me. Whether it's work related or personal life related they are always available to pick me up when I'm down, put me in my place, laugh with me or cry with me. They mean the absolute world to me and I love them dearly.
1. I know I make a difference in the life of a tiny child and their family ever day...
No matter the outcome, whether good or bad anything I can do to help a family even if only for a moment matters. I have held the hand of a mother who had to withdraw support from her child, I've held a dying baby so they wouldn't be alone. But, I have been lucky, the smiles at work outweigh the tears, the successes outnumber the loss. Each day is different, each baby is different, and each family is different. Just as much as I make a difference in their lives, they make a difference in mine. The cards, letters and 1 year birthday invitations ( for a baby that is nothing short of a miracle) mean more than one could ever express. So although there are days that I don't want to go to work, I can't thing of ANYTHING else I would rather do. I love this job!!
![]() |
| So Small |
![]() |
| Goofing off as usual |
![]() |
| The crew at christmas |
![]() |
| Halloween in the NICU |




No comments:
Post a Comment